About Postdoctoral Fellowships in Data Science
In partnership with the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is inviting new and recent PhD holders with an interest in Data Science and its related disciplines (such as Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Quantum Machine Learning, Cluster Analysis, Data Mining, Big data Analytics, Data Visualization, Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Deep Active Learning, Cognitive Computing among others), to apply for one of seven attractive postdoctoral fellowship opportunities at its pioneering research centre – Quantum Leap Africa (QLA) in Rwanda.
Successful candidates will each benefit from financial support of up to $28 440 per annum for a two year postdoctoral term. Funding is also available for conferences and international scientific events. The term can be renewed based on satisfactory progress. Fellows would preferably be based at QLA in Rwanda and could be affiliated to any of the AIMS Research Centres and spend time in other international partner universities or research centres. Beneficiaries may also be affiliated to any recognized institution of higher learning located in the same country as the AIMS Research Centre.
The AIMS-Carnegie Research program in Data Science and its Applications aims to position Africa at the forefront of information science. It also seeks to ensure that scientists worldwide are able to fully contribute to the above goal.
- Applicants can be from any country.
- Applicants must hold at least a PhD degree in any field related to mathematical
sciences before the start date of this position.
- Applicants should be interested in undertaking research in Data Science and its related disciplines (such as Mathematics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Quantum Machine Learning, Cluster Analysis, Data Mining, Big data Analytics, Data Visualization, Artificial Intelligence, Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Deep Active Learning, Cognitive Computing among others)
- Knowledge in mathematical modelling would be an advantage.
- Applicants are encouraged to collaborate with at least one researcher at AIMS; however, this is not mandatory.
- Applicants must be open-minded, and must be willing to conduct their research at their preferred AIMS Research Centre, or a designated partner institution in one of the AIMS host centres.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must use the online application portal to apply and submit the below supporting documents:
- a completed proposal form,
- a letter of motivation,
- a curriculum vitae,
- electronic copies of three representative publications, if applicable.
These supporting documents should be submitted in a pdf format and named using the following format: “AIMS-Carnegie-postdoc–first and last name of applicant-type of document- monthyear of submission” e.g. “AIMS-Carnegie-postdoc–JohnJake-CV-July2019”
Before starting the application process, applicants should provide complete and accurate contact information (email address, title, names) of two referees who will provide confidential letters of support on their behalf. We will request these letters of support directly from the referees. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide their referees with a copy of the ‘Terms of Reference’ and the ‘Instructions for Referees’. The applicant is also responsible for ensuring that their referees have received the request for a letter of support from us and have submitted the requested letters to us on time.
Applications shall be considered complete if all the documents listed above, including support letters, are received by AIMS before the evaluation start date.
Applications will be evaluated at the end of May, August and October 2019. Prospective applicants are encouraged to apply before the end of April, July or September 2019. Only complete applications with required supporting documents will be considered. Incomplete or late applications will be reviewed during the subsequent evaluation period if all of the above supporting documents are eventually submitted. The application portal will remain open until prospective candidates are found.
Applications shall be vetted by a committee consisting of expert researchers from AIMS/QLA, at least one external expert, and a representative from the AIMS Global Secretariat. Successful candidates will be contacted and will be expected to commence their research at the AIMS Research Centre within three months of receiving an award letter.
Applications will initially be screened for relevance and then evaluated by an international selection committee based on the following criteria:
- Quality of applicant: academic qualifications; quality of publications; research experience in data science, especially machine learning; real-world impact of their prior research and recognition (e.g. through awards).
- Quality of proposed research: novelty; strength of connection to mathematical sciences; experience of applicant in research topic; quality of research design; feasibility; suitability of proposed research environment(s); and quality and realism of budget projections.
- Potential impact of proposed research on scientific knowledge, practice and policy.
You are required to send complete and accurate contact information (email address, title, names) of two referees to email@example.com who will provide confidential letters of support on your behalf. We will request these letters of support directly from the referees. It is your responsibility to provide your referees with a copy of the ‘Terms of Reference’.
All questions should be emailed to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would be grateful if you would disseminate this announcement at your institution and also ask your colleagues to draw the attention of appropriately qualified persons within their network to this opportunity.
Opportunities for PhDs and Research MSc students can be found at www.quantumleapafrica.org/careers
Applications can be made via the online application portal: APPLY
Application InformationApply Online
Applications are now being accepted.
Questions should be directed to email@example.com